How to Veganise your Bathroom without Breaking the Bank


The secret is to buy in bulk!
 This month's how-to is not about cooking, for a change; we wanted to share with you our game-changing life hack for buying vegan bodycare products. We were delighted to find that Superdrug stocks loads of vegan products which are cheap but maybe not as natural or eco-friendly as their more expensive counterparts. Plus it was inconvenient to keep going there every time we ran low on stuff. Here's what we now do instead:


1: Save old shampoo bottles like the one on the right; it has a wide top for refilling and holds 400ml of products. You can get every last bit out, too.

2: Buy your shampoo/ shower gel/ conditioner/ handwash in 5l amounts. We got ours from Suma. We also found the bodywash does very nicely as shampoo or handwash too, so we just got bodywash plus conditioner. 

3: Clean your old bottles, remove the labels (you may need white spirit) and label them with the new contents. Paper labels written in permanent marker with sellotape on top should do the trick. You can now save money and pollution-causing plastic while enjoying good quality products that- literally- won't cost the Earth. This hack also works for your washing up liquid (we buy Bio-D as the Ecover one is not vegan.)


Do you have any money and environment-saving household tips?



Comments

  1. I buy large bottles of Dr Bronner's liquid castille soap and decant it, watered down (about 1/4 soap to 3/4 water - but have a play to find your preference) into a foam dispensing bottle. That way it lasts forever, and you get the lather often missing from eco soaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I find the lathers ok with the products we use but I know what you mean; I do miss it when there'less lather. We live in a soft water area so any product will lather quite we'll- we are lucky with that. It' great to buy in bulk and save money and packaging :)

      Delete
  2. Hello Sarojini, We need more and more people like you who are so thoughtful and sensible and who are doing wonderful work to save the Earth. I read every post of yours, admire it and incorporate it in our world if we are not doing it. The world would become such a lovely place if everyone thought the way you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback; I am so glad you like our posts.i must also say that it's beautiful nature photography and descriptions like yours that inspire me to try to take care of the Earth! :)

      Delete
  3. Great post and tips! I need to post more of my non-food products...even if to archive them. I've seen the EcoVer label at one of my local shops. Years ago I think I tried a dish soap from the maybe!? I will have to look into them again soon :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment- feedback from you really helps me to decide what to post, and I love hearing from you- thanks :)

Popular Posts