Vegan Feta Cheese- raw

Cubes of almond feta are delicious with olive oil, oregano and olives...
After we went vegan, Greek salad was never quite as tasty. Try replacing the feta with tofu and you'll see what I mean; just because it's a white cube doesn't mean it's going to taste like salty, tangy feta no matter how much olive oil, oregano and lemon juice you lavish on it.
But guess what I discovered by accident when I found there were some soaked almonds in the fridge that needed using?- The perfect feta substitute; it's salty, tangy, creamy and even looks just right (the flecks in the picture are because I left the skins on the almonds- you could skin the almonds after soaking if you want). Here's how to make it:

  • Soak some whole almonds in cold water for about 24 hours- I kept mine in the fridge.
  • Drain the juice off and skin the almonds of you wish.
  • Using a high speed blender/ grinder, process the almonds down to a thick paste. It should hold together when pressed.
  • Mix in Himalayan pink salt and lemon juice until you are happy with the balance of sharpness and saltiness.
  • Using your hands, shape into a block and store covered in the fridge.
PS: Since making this, I've had a look around the internet and I found that others have made it too. Methods vary; some use soaked blanched almonds and dehydrate or bake the cheese, some add oil to the cheese and some add probiotic powder to boost up its good qualities. What they all have in common, however, is that the almonds are soaked and natural salt and lemon juice provide the flavours.




Comments

  1. Looks great, your right there are loads of similar recipes on blogosphere. I am hoping to make some vegan cheese in my new blender too, but love the look of yours, I note that there is Himilayan salt which I have been using loads of lately, but is there herb in there too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback. I didn't put herbs in the cheese, but sprinkled it with olive oil and oregano afterwards, like they do in parts of Greece. You could put herbs in though. Loved your broad bean cheese btw :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I will make this one of these day, I know I keep saying that about your recipes, but I will. I am going through bookmarked recipes slowly but surely.

      Delete
  2. Love this cheese. Will try it out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment- feedback from you really helps me to decide what to post, and I love hearing from you- thanks :)

Popular Posts