|Chevda makes a delicious and satisfying snack!|
- Soak the grated potato in cold water for an hour, then drain in a sieve, squeeze out any excess moisture and pat dry with a paper towel. This part is really important to get rid of excess starch because otherwise, when you fry them, the potato shreds will all stick together.
- Briefly deep fry the peanuts and almonds, taking care not to burn them.
- Deep fry the potatoes, a small amount at a time. Ensure the oil is hot (but not smoking), at about the same temperature as you'd have it for frying chips/ French fries. By cooking them in small batches, the temperature of the oil will be maintained and they will come out nice and crisp and not too oily. too many in the pan at once will cause the oil temperature to drop.
- Scoop out the potatoes once they are cooked and put them in a fine-meshed sieve (lined with kitchen paper if you like) to drain and cool.
- Mix with the nuts and sultanas and season to taste.
- Store in an airtight container; a glass jar with a screw-on lid is ideal.