Aloo Baingen- vegan

I added peas to this traditional recipe
In this well- known Indian dish, melt-in-the-mouth aubergine is combined with cubes of potato and aromatic spices, in a rich tomato sauce. I don't think I need to say any more...

Makes 4 large portions:
2 large potatoes
2 ½ -3 small (but not baby) aubergines (eggplants)
2 cups fresh coriander
2 tabs cumin seeds
3 bay leaves
3 tabs sunflower oil
Piece of fresh ginger about the size of the top of your thumb, grated
Seasalt to taste (1-2 tsps)
5 medium-sized fresh tomatoes, chopped
1 Cup (250ml) frozen or fresh green peas 
500ml passata
2 tsps compound hing
2 tabs powdered coriander
  • Dice the potato and aubergine and chop the coriander (scissors are good for this)
  • Heat the oil in a large wide-bottomed pan/ karhai and stir fry the potato and aubergine until thoroughly coated.
  • Add the cumin seeds, salt, fresh tomatoes bay leaves and hing. Place the lid on and sweat on a low heat until the aubergine and potato are soft.
  • Add the peas, sugar (if using), passata and both corianders, and continue to cook with the lid off until it has reduced a little and the sauce is nice and rich.
  • Serve with an Indian bread such as chapattis, bhatura or naan.


Comments

  1. I just love baigan, this looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love aubergine... I need to make this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love aloo baingan with rotis... its like comfort food for me. This pic looks really mouthwatering...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment- feedback from you really helps me to decide what to post, and I love hearing from you- thanks :)

Popular Posts