Banana, Date PB Green Smoothie- vegan


This smoothie is a beautiful bright green

Now here's a major confession: I often pride myself on my sensible approach to diet and nutrition, but when it comes to spinach I'm ashamed to say I'm like a fussy kid! Trouble is, I just can't stand the taste or smell or texture of it once it's cooked and I find it impossible to force myself to eat it, healthy as I know it is. I can do raw baby spinach in salads and sandwiches, no problem, so one morning I thought: a raw green smoothie-well why not? And I'm happy to say I downed it all, so I'm now working on ideas for kale and callaloo, as I'm not overkeen on those when cooked either. 



This recipe makes 2 large servings- enough for a really energising breakfast: 1 cup= 250ml.
1 cu (pressed down) fresh washed and torn spinach leaves
6 stoned dried dates
1 tab unsweetened peanut butter
plant milk of your choice (I used unsweetened soya milk- you could use rice, hemp, almond, oat etc.)- exactly how much is up to you.
  • Blend the spinach, dates and peanut butter together.
  • Add the milk last, and use enough to make the desired consistency.


If you are a reluctant cooked leaf-eater like me, you might want to try out kale chips, which are highly nutritious and a great antidote to a pile of slimy cooked greens! I also hear that semi-cooked/  warmed kale in salads is great, so if you've ever made or eaten that, I'd love to hear from you...

Comments

  1. Good for you - facing your demons and downing your spinach!! looks good to me :))
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this green smoothie looks delicious :)

    It was nice to stumble upon your blog.
    Cheers,
    Miriam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff. I have recently done something similar with celery. I still cringe slightly at the thought but I'm way more tolerant with it now. I had it in every juice for a week, just one stalk and I'm ok with it now. I can even manage some in salad....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love spinach, but only cooked .. dont know how raw ones will taste.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice addition of spinach in smoothie. love the color.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment- feedback from you really helps me to decide what to post, and I love hearing from you- thanks :)

Popular Posts