Kimchi- Korean pickle

This recipe makes a yummy pot of kimchi!

I have been wanting to make kimchi for some time now, but never got round to it... now Korea is very much in the media because of "Gangnam Style" (if you haven't heard yet, it's the K-pop/ rap hit that has become so famous worldwide that the video is currently the most viewed ever on Youtube)  and so I remembered kimchi. I found many recipes on the internet, most of which contain fish sauce, so my following vegan version may not be 100% authentic, but it's certainly tasty! 
For those of you who have never tried it, kimchi is a deliciously spicy, salty and sweet pickle of brined cabbage/ Chinese leaves to which a paste of ginger, garlic, Korean chilli flakes and fish or soy sauce is then added. My version is made with white cabbage (only because I couldn't get hold of Chinese leaves) and I replaced the Korean chilli flakes with chilli powder and paprika, since they are milder than South American chilli. I substituted hing for the garlic and made a mixture of miso and soy sauce instead of using fish- who says you can't have on-trend food on a pure veg yoga diet ? All you need is a little adaptation...
I made a small amount this time, but it was so yummy I think I'll make more soon!

200g white cabbage/ chinese leaves, cut into 2cm (or slightly larger squares)
1 rounded tab seasalt dissolved in 500ml (2 cups) water
1/3 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp paprika
2 tsps grated fresh ginger
1/2 tsp compound hing
1 heaped tsp miso
1 tab soy sauce
1/2 grated apple/ Asian pear/ a grated small pear

  • Brine the cabbage by putting it into the salted water and weighing it down as for sauerkraut. Refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours; I was impatient, but the longer it brines the more the cabbage will absorb the other flavours when you add them.
  • Make a paste from all the other ingredients except the pear. Set aside.
  • When the cabbage has brined, drain off the salted water and stir in the paste.
  • Next grate the pear or apple in for some natural sweetness, and stir in.
  • Keep refrigerated in an airtight glass jar or tupperware container. Do not fill right up, as the kimchi will expand as it ferments. I don't know how long it keeps for as I've only just made it, but I'd guess since it's sealed up and in the fridge it will last a week or two.



Comments

Popular Posts