Organic Pasta L'Estate/Primavera- vegan


I've used mangetout and broad beans and fresh herbs from our allotment in my take on Pasta Primavera

This is my vegan take on the popular "Pasta Primavera"; I've long had an issue with that name being used in the UK, as in Spring ("Primavera") there is very little except asparagus, greens and maybe broccoli. It seems more accurate to call this dish "Summer" rather than "Spring " pasta, as it is only when you get to June, July and August over here that veggies like peas, courgettes (Zucchini), bell peppers etc. come into season. So "Pasta L'Estate" it truly is! I have seen a lot of pasta primavera recipes that call for tomatoes or carrots, but I like to keep it as green-looking as possible. You could experiment with different herbs, but I personally like the zinginess of fresh parsley and I would have used the basil fresh rather than dried if I could've got my hands on any. This dish is really simple to cook. I have kept the oil down to an absolute minimum, though you could add more in the final stage if you want. This is a quick, tasty and healthy dinner that both adults and kids will like. This recipe makes about 6 portions.
500g (dry weight) organic wholemeal penne
2 tabs olive oil (good quality extra-virgin has a great flavour)
1 tab yeast flakes (nutritional yeast)
1 tab vegan Parmesan (such as "Parmazano" brand)
1- 1/2 tabs sunflower seeds (pinenuts or chopped walnuts would be equally good)
650 g (raw weight) green seasonal vegetables, washed and prepared (I used green pepper strips, sweetcorn, peas, broad beans, mangetout and broccoli but you could add courgette ribbons at the last minute, runner beans or whatever you have that's fresh.)
1/2-1 tsp coarse black pepper
2 tsps seasalt
1 tab light soy sauce/ Liquid Aminos
1-2 tabs fresh flat-leaved parsley
2 tsps dried basil (or 1 tab fresh)
Green or black olives to garnish
  • Cook the pasta until al dente in plenty of fast-boiling water. Drain and set aside (but don't let it dry out).
  • Meanwhile, prepare the veggies and stir-fry them in the olive oil until cooked through. Personally, I like to leave a little "bite" to them, but it's up to you. Use a large pan like a wok, as you're going to add all the pasta in a minute.
  • Add the pasta to the veggies, mixing well.
  • Stir in the soy sauce, yeast flakes, vegan Parmesan, sunflower seeds, salt, pepper and herbs, heating gently through. (It's now that you will realise you overcooked that pasta if it breaks up as you stir the other ingredients in!)
  • Garnish with the olives.


Comments

Popular Posts