Beancurd Loaf- vegan

Beancurd Loaf

I was planning on making beanburgers yet again, but I wanted to cook something I knew my fussy daughter would eat; knowing she likes beancurd, I decided to make burgers out of that but the texture lent itself more to a "meatloaf"- style dish, so that's what it became! It is very filling and satisfying, and my recipe makes 6 decent-sized portions. If you have a good blender or food processor and some beancurd sheets, then this is a quick and easy source of protein for your main meal. I deliberately kept it quite bland so as to be sure to please, but another time I will definitely add some minced red peppers (capsicums) and some black pepper to give it a bit more of a kick; maybe even chilli or smoked paprika; what do you think? 


A 200-g packet of beancurd sheets, crumbled into flakes, soaked until soft and drained
300g sweetcorn kernels
225g cooked red kidney/ pinto beans
8 flat tabs chickpea flour (besan)
1 tab white miso
1 tab dark soy sauce
1 tab paprika
1 tab herbes de Provence
1-2 tsps compound hing (yellow powder and not a strong as pure hing)
seasalt and black pepper to taste
  • Whizz up the beancurd, sweetcorn and beans in you food processor until it resembles the consistency of mashed potato or thick hummus.
  • Stir in the flour, miso and soy sauce. I've written the flour in spoons so that you can add it gradually and stop when you get a less wet consistency; don't use any more than you have to.
  • Add the seasonings.
  • Press down well into a square silicone cake mould/ baking tin and place in a preheated oven at 225C for 20-30 minutres, until the top is browning and the loaf is holding together.
  • I served this with steamed vegetables, potato wedges and gravy made from miso, passata and tomato puree. Look here and here for gravy recipe/ ideas, or use your own favourite.





Comments

Popular Posts