|"Free-from" almond fingers; no egg, gluten, wheat, dairy or sugar|
300g ground almonds
100g buckwheat flour
100g xylitol/ the equivalent in stevia
5 tsps baking powder
400ml soya milk
100ml agave nectar
150ml coconut oil (liquified)
2 tsps pure almond essence
flaked almonds to decorate
- Mix together the almonds, buckwheat flour, baking powder and stevia/ xylitol in a large bowl.
- In another jug/ bowl, combine the soya milk, agave nectar, coconut oil and almond essence. (If you are going to leave it before mixing, you may need to gently reheat in a saucepan as the coconut oil will solidify!)
- Beat the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. The batter will be quite a bit wetter than your usual cake mix, but don't worry about this. As long as you follow the instructions for baking carefully it will turn out just fine.
- Pour into a greased and lined/ dampened tin or silicone mould. A shallow-ish rectangular one is ideal. Make it no more than about an inch thick, as it will rise on the oven.
- Sprinkle with a good layer of flaked almonds, and bake in an oven preheated to 175C. After 10 minutes then at 150C for another 15 minutes. It is done when a skewer inserted into the middle emerges clean.
- When cool, remove carefully from the tin/ mould and cut into fingers.