As well as being vegan, they are also free from refined sugar, containing date syrup, dates and shakar/ gour. They are soft and cakey, with a slightly more fudgy texture than sponge cake, and remind me of an eggless version of Jamaican ginger cake. This recipe makes 12 squares.
400g self-raising flour
150ml organic, cold-pressed sunflower oil
400ml soya milk
4 tsps baking powder
100g shakar/ powdered gour
150g chopped dried dates
100ml date syrup
4 tabs powdered ginger
- Combine all dry ingredients
- Separately, mix together the soya milk, oil and date syrup. Beat well to ensure the date syrup doesn't get left behind in the bottom of the bowl
- Add the wet to the dry ingredients and beat well for about 2 minutes
- Put mixture into a dampened square silicone mould/ oiled and floured square cake tin
- Bake in an oven preheated to 180C for about 25 minutes, or until a thin skewer, inserted, comes out clean.
- Cut into squares and leave to cool on a wire rack