Fathers' Day Banana Bread- vegan,sugar free

I am thinking today not only of my father, my husband as a father and fathers everywhere, but also of my spiritual father; my Gurudeva Srila Narayana Maharaja to whom I owe a debt of gratitude so immense I can never repay it. He gave me- and all his disciples- so much selfless unconditional love and cared for us like a father. As the mantra says: "I was blinded by the darkness of ignorance but my Gurudeva has opened my eyes with the torchlight of knowledge."  Although he has now left this world he lives in our hearts as a guiding light and source of inspiration forever. Like Srila Gurudeva, this cake is very sweet yet also nourishing. Once you have tasted it, you will want more!
This is probably the last post I will make for about a week; maybe a bit more, the reason being the Harikatha Festival (see previous posts) which I am helping to organise. I'll be back afterwards with some culinary tales and pics from the large commercial kitchen we are using...
250g self-raising flour
150g wholemeal flour
6 tsps baking powder
4 tsps mixed spice
75g chopped walnuts
50g sultanas
400ml agave nectar
150ml rice bran oil
1 tsp vanilla essence
5 small ripe bananas, mashed
  • Combine all the dry ingredients.
  • Mix the wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
  • Beat the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
  • Stir in the banana, mixing thoroughly.
  • Put into a prepared medium-sized square baking tray or loaf tin and cook in a preheated oven at 180C for about 30 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.

Comments

Popular Posts